Sunday, September 20, 2015

Underrated

Mention a famous writer- whether it’s Edgar Allan Poe, the undisputed “Father” of the modern detective story, or even Victor Hugo, the most influential poet of French romanticism, and I guarantee that you will find me making an appearance in an overwhelming amount of their brilliant works. I consider myself a vital aspect in literature- I mean, what writer wouldn’t want to manipulate words in a way that invokes an idea or feeling in addition to its literal meaning? I essentially take words to a deeper level, for instance, the word “Home” suggests family, comfort, and security. In another example, “Red” has an implied meaning that ranges from love, passion, or even danger. These implied ideas are what make me unique. It gets hard sometimes though, I feel like I’m not as appreciated as I should be, I mean I’ve been featured in William Shakespeare’s works several times for crying out loud which is pretty impressive if you ask me, yet if you ask somebody who I am you’ll be met with a blank face which is upsetting. I take a lot of pride in one particular Shakespearian quote; “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day” in which a summer’s day suggests or connotes beauty. It would makes sense that I would receive a bit more credit, making these implications in order to deliver a more powerful message across to the reader is a hard and demanding job. 


No comments:

Post a Comment