Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sworn Enemies

Denotation. I can’t stand him, he is so boring and I don’t know why he’s even considered to be on the same level as me even though we’re nothing alike. He’s just the plain old literal meaning of a word whereas I’m the set of ideas that are implied with a word, how could you possibly get us mixed up? I’m the emotional and imaginative association surrounding a word and Denotation is the strict dictionary meaning of a word. If you were to ask any good writer which one of us is more useful I guarantee they would say that I am because let’s face it, when writing the emotional weight a word carries is way more beneficial to a writer’s message then the literal meaning of the word. Let’s look at it this way- the word “Home” could have different interpretations you could take the most basic and specific meaning of the word, in this case the denotative or literal meaning would be a place one lives; a residence. Which is the boring route to go, in contrast to my abstract view which would be that home suggests a place of security, comfort and family. I just really can’t fathom how much denotation aggravates me, he’s pretty useless to insightful readers if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment