Sunday, September 20, 2015

Positive Vs. Negative


I spent the day thinking about the possible reasons why I’m not as “understood” in the literary world as the others such as metaphor or simile when it suddenly dawned on me that I am just too complicated for people to really understand who I am and to really grasp what I’m all about. I have two sides, my positive side and then there’s my negative side, you’re probably wondering what I mean by that so I’ll elaborate. My negative counterpart implies a pessimistic or informal meaning of a word. For instance, the word “cheap” is not only informal but also infers that someone is not generous and is stingy with their money. On the other end of the spectrum, there are words that I provide with a more positive outlook such as the word “economical” which suggests money, time, and effort well spent. To further establish my claim, let’s look at some other examples of my craft: foolhardy/courageous, bossy/assertive, and obsession/avocation. Although all of those words are synonyms they are perceived differently and enable the reader to make implications. I essentially have the power to make you feel differently based on how sentences are worded which is most likely the reason why most readers aren’t very fond of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment