Sunday, September 20, 2015

Long time friend

As I have mentioned time and time again, I have been featured in several famous works of writing but today I decided to closely examine my role in literature, not to come off as conceited or anything but merely for educational purposes. Charles Dickens, a good friend of mine, has featured me in nearly all of his brilliantly crafted novels. “The Tales of Two Cities”, one of his best-known novels, has me in it believe it or not.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”- Dickens

At a glance, I am hidden and undecipherable but if you examine the text close enough you’ll see that I am omnipresent in this excerpt. These famous lines, which open A Tale of Two Cities, have the implications and suggestions of possible central tension between love and family, on one end, and oppression and hatred, on the other. “The season of Darkness” suggests suffering and “the spring of hope” implied a sense of security and stability. The ambivalence of this excerpt had only been possible due to my underlying ideas that I have contributed. I provided the reader with a more insightful view that leads one to infer that good and evil, wisdom and folly, and light and darkness stand equally matched in their struggle. I am more then what meets the eye so you most likely wouldn’t have guessed that I played such a vital role.

No comments:

Post a Comment